Bahaghari Center for SOGIE Research, Education and Advocacy, Inc. (BAHAGHARI CENTER) envisions a society that not only embraces, but celebrates diversity, including – if not particularly – those of diverse sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We believe that only when members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning and intersex (LGBTQI) community are treated with respect, considered as equals will they reach their full potential as human beings, whether individually or collectively.
Bahaghari Center welcomes everyone who shares this vision, hoping for this to be realized, or at least until organizations like Bahaghari Center is no longer a necessity but a choice.
Bahaghari Center promotes the welfare of LGBTQI people, their families and friends/allies through:
SUPPORT, to help face a society that remains largely antagonistic;
EDUCATION, to inform – thereby empower – LGBTQIA people, and enlighten an ill-informed public;
ADVOCACY, to end prejudice and secure civil rights; and
CELEBRATE, to revel in the diversity that is the LGBTQI community.
Bahaghari Center aims to contribute towards eradicating discrimination within and against LGBTQI community, and to provide defined services to the same until they are no longer required.
- To create a virtual and physical space for the LGBTQI community in the Philippines.
- Facilitate and coordinate efforts of the players in the LGBTQI community to work together in such programs and activities as education, health initiatives, community mobilization, cultural enhancement, and research.
- Educating, lobbying and advocating against harmful stereotypes, attitudes and behaviors towards LGBTQI people to achieve better understanding of this community for community members and others.
- Building the visibility, thus confidence, of the Filipino LGBTQI community.
- Providing relevant, defined services in a responsive and flexible manner.
- Maintain strong connections with other LGBTQIA organizations, and other civic and human rights organizations to contribute to their work in support of the LGBTQI population and the creation of an equitable society.
- Celebrate LGBTQI life through inclusive fêtes.